Sometimes there is just nothing to do except take stock. A few of the Australian lads got together – you know the ones who do crosswords when it’s raining, or who like a good book. The exercise was to find a quotable quote to best describe each of the first six games of CWC15 in 42 seconds, the aggregate time Maxi says he spends playing deliveries in an average innings.
The results below may not be considered, but they exhausted the concentration span of the participating batsmen. The bowlers outlasted them and added a contextual comment to each quote. Enjoy it.
1. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” (Dr Seuss)
Quoted by Imran Khan in a private letter to Captain Misbah after Pakistan’s loss to India [IndvPak,[ ODI 4]
2. “Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: “What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .” (CS Lewis)
Shane Watson and Mitch Johnson congratulate Stuart Broad on joining The Premier Club (for golden ducks). The Club ties (and a few spares) are in the post. [AUSvEng, ODI 2]
3. “Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” (Narcotics Anonymous)
Brian Mooney to Darren Sammy to which Sammy replied “feck off, man”. Sammy was fined for adrenalin abuse, Mooney for defeating one of the Big 8. [WIvIre, ODI 5]
4. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” (Ralph Waldo
Quoted by Sean the Sheep when asked to pay for a lamb roll by a concessionaire during the opening game of CWC15. The sheepdog took offence, was escorted from the ground, but re-entered after lunch as a farmer from Otago. [NZvSL, ODI 1]
5. “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” (Neil Gaiman)
Mugabe’s Marauders might have used this quote after laying siege to the South African war machine for 40 overs. The Yarpies ultimately blew them off the park. [SAvZim, ODI 3]
6. “Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.” (Bob Henlein)
Mommsen post-match interview, proud of fighting the losing battle a Scotsman is well used to. The ICC should relax. More Associate victories are on the way. Scotland forever! [NZvScot, ODI 6]
Dave Warner says he is doing fine so far. Candice told him she needs his match fees. As he left for the pool he pushed this quote in my direction “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken” (Oscar Wilde). Dr Seuss would have approved.